Is sugarless chewing gum good for cleaning your teeth? There appears to be plenty of evidence to suggest that at certain times, chewing sugarless gum can be advantageous at protecting your smile. Listed below are important facts regarding sugarless chewing gum:
– Despite the fact that sugarless gum can help your smile, by no means should it ever be used as a replacement for brushing and flossing daily.
– Sugarless gum is also helpful in the prevention and treatment of heartburn, which is often the result of a buildup of acids that travel up your esophagus. Gum can help protect teeth should the acids reach your mouth.
– Sugarless gum is most useful if you do not suffer from a jaw disorder such as a TMD.
– Studies have revealed that chewing sugarless gum after meals can help prevent cavities.
– You should chew sugarless gum after meals because it helps increase the saliva flow in your mouth, which washes away food particles and neutralizes harmful acids which can eat through your teeth.
If you would like see Dr. Melissa Maus and our team at Melissa Maus & Associates for an exam or professional cleaning, please contact our dentist office in San Francisco, California, by calling us at 415-781-0819. Have a fantastic day!